- Rebirthing is a simple, gentle yet powerful conscious breathing technique.
- It brings into awareness not only our unconsciously held beliefs and emotions but also the relationships we have with our bodies, ourselves, our intimates and our world. When we consciously breathe with this awareness, we make it possible to resolve, integrate and heal previously unresolved issues within ourselves. This frees up energy, bringing greater aliveness and joy and allowing us to move towards fulfillment of our potential as human beings.
- Rebirthing is a powerful healing method which offers you an experience of freedom and mastery in your life.
- Rebirthing brings expanded awareness on all levels: physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual.
How is it done?
- You explore your issues with your Rebirther (30 to 50 minutes).
- You then begin the conscious breathing session which is usually done lying down. You learn to consciously connect your breath so that there are no pauses between the inhale and the exhale. The breathing is full and also relaxed. Slowly you are guided to find your own rhythm, probably slightly faster and fuller than you are used to.
- With your rebirther, you work with the material that surfaces.
- The breathing session lasts approximately 60 to 75 minutes.
- An integration phase of 10 to 15 minutes completes this part of the session.
- In total, a rebirthing session takes approximately 2 to 3 hours.
How does it work?
- The breath acts as a bridge between the conscious and unconscious, between the mind and the body. You can control your breathing consciously by, for example, pranayama breathing exercises, but if you don't think about your breathing for a whole day, you still are breathing.
- Rebirthing works on the principle that there is a direct connection between mental and physical well being and the openness of the breathing. Relaxing and releasing the breath dissolves tension in both the body and the mind.
- Through breathing continuously without break, your body takes in more oxygen than usual, which changes the CO2 level in your brain.
- You enter a self-induced trance state (a non-ordinary state of
consciousness) where memories, pictures, emotions or body sensations can surface to be reviewed, released and integrated.
- The power of rebirthing is that in this state you are the experiencer as well as the observer of past incidents that may emerge, enabling you to release and re-interpret what happened in the past from a newly conscious and fresh perspective.
- Through conscious connected breathing you accumulate life force (prana, chi, ki) which starts to move freely through you body (experienced as tingling, energy rushes or waves).
- This loosens up stored blockages held in your four-body energy system (physical, emotional, mental and spiritual), thus working on all four levels at the same time.
- Experiences may vary every time. The spectrum of experiences range from physical sensations of pain or pleasure, release of body blockages through heat or energy movement to release of emotions (sadness, anger, etc.) There may be realisations of dysfunctional thought patterns or new thought connections and insights, and deeply spiritual or energetic experiences.
- The Rebirther is your guide on the journey.
- She/he will skilfully manoeuvre you through the surfacing material, witness and validate your experiences, help you to stay present and maintain your mental clarity.
- To integrate what has come up a skilled Rebirther may use various psychotherapeutic integration tools.
- The Rebirther needs to be professionally trained and experienced, as well as giving unconditional personal regard and being non-judgmental and compassionate.
- It is important that you feel comfortable with your Rebirther so we advise you to communicate with more than one practitioner until you find the person who feels right for you.
- Rebirthing has an innate self-regulatory mechanism. Whatever surfaces might be challenging for you, but is never more than can safely be integrated.
- You don't necessarily have to understand or review certain incidents as pictures or thoughts to be able to release the charge around them as the whole process has its own innate intelligence.
- The breath will bring up what is most important for you in this moment, enabling you to take your next steps towards becoming whole and happy.
Logistics and finances
- Some Rebirthers offer a free initial consultation to discuss your particular needs.
- Cost and length of session may vary widely.
- Once you have chosen your Rebirther you usually agree on a sequence of 10 Rebirthing sessions. After these you decide together what would be the most helpful or appropriate next step for you.
- Another way of experiencing rebirthing is in a group setting and many Rebirthers also run various workshops.
[The above material has been edited by Clare Gabriel from an article by Gerd Lange.]
Many Rebirthers also run workshops (see news and events page].
We recommend that you do individual sessions with one rebirther to explore your own issues as well as workshops to gain support and a wider perspective.
Who does Rebirthing?
Rebirthing is a journey towards freedom. But the obstacles to freedom are many and varied and it is these obstacles that propel people into seeking rebirthing. They may include:
- relationship difficulties or patterns that keep repeating
themselves in every relationship;
- not knowing who you are and what you want;
- not living up to your potential;
- feeling trapped in a way of being, stressed out by efforts to
- job-related problems;
- anxiety, panic attacks, phobias;
- shyness and low self-esteem, lack of confidence;
- general unhappiness with what seems like every aspect of your life;
- an inability to feel;
- simply wanting to get to know yourself better and enjoy life more.
[The above paragraph "Who does Rebirthing?" is an extract from the
book: "Rebirthing and Breathwork: A powerful technique for personal transformation" by Catherine Dowling, published by Judy Piatkus
return to top of page